Monday 3 August 2009

Regret

I heard Amy MacDonald's "Mr Rock and Roll" start and I knew it would make me weep. It's not a great song, but it gets the feeling of realising too late in one's life what one should have done, of missed opportunity, of regret, very neatly and accurately.

So-called Mr Rock And Roll
Is dancing on his own again
Talking on his phone again
To someone who tells him that his balance is low
He's got no where to go
He's on his own again

Rock chick of the century
Is acting like she used to be
Dancing like there's no one there
Before she never seemed to care
Now she wouldn't dare
Its so rock and roll to alone

And they'll meet one day
Far way
And say "I wish I was something more"
And they'll meet one day
Far away
And say "I wish I knew you, I wish I knew you before"

He'll say "I wish I knew you, I wish I met you
When time was still on my side"
She'll say " I wish I knew you, I wish I loved you
Before I was his bride".


Sadly for me, I've only ever known half even of that sorrowful equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment